Redondo Beach, known for its Salt Industry in the mid 1800’s took shape when real estate developers came across the land in 1887. They took interest due to the extremely deep water canyon located close to shore and started to develop Redondo as a port.
Ships and railroad tracks quickly became part of Redondo Beach. The route for the railway line was based on the Great Hotel Redondo, built in the late 1800’s. Built on a bluff overlooking the wharf, the wooden Victorian style Hotel Redondo was one of the Pacific Coast’s grandest and largest resorts. The purpose of this 225-room grand hotel was to build the sleepy ocean side community into a travel destination. It was a lavish hotel featuring an 18-hole golf course, elegant ballroom and a grand staircase down to the sand. The new hotel brought more visitors to Redondo Beach than ever.
The 350 meter deep water canyon leading right to Redondo Beach made a very accessible place for large ships to come ashore. In 1890 the first Wharf was built and along with it sprang up businesses and cottages. Lumber played a big part in Redondo Beach’s economy as well. In addition to freight loads of lumber and oil, steamships and trains brought in people by the thousands, and Redondo Beach quickly became a tourist destination. San Pedro eventually became the main port and Redondo Beach became a top destination for tourists and recreation as it still is today.